Associate Professor of Computer Science and Deputy Head at Department of Mathematics, Computer Science and Physics of the University of Udine, with a second affiliation at the Department of Environmental Sciences, Informatics and Statistics of the Ca’ Foscari University of Venice. (Qualified to Full Professor since March 2018.)
Currently, I am mostly interested in security issues of distributed, component-based and smart systems, whose overall behavior is determined by the interaction of many heterogeneous entities. To this end, I am applying formal methods (possibly with a pinch of Machine Learning) to define new models, languages, methodologies and techniques for the formalisation, verification and certification of security properties of these systems.
If this sounds interesting to you too, drop me a note.
Besides, I know something about bigraphs, category theory and logic, coalgebras, distributed ledgers, logical frameworks, process calculi, proof assistants, nominal sets, session types, structured operational semantics, systems biology, type theory. (In a sense, I am a horizontal researcher.)
I founded and currently lead the Models and Applications of Distributed Systems laboratory, the Udine node of the CINI National CyberSecurity laboratory, and the MadrHacks, the ethical hacking team of the University of Udine.
I have the fortune to work with great people.
latest news (more)
|Nov 18, 2023||Research fellowship about “Spatio-temporal logics: extensions for nominal quantification and hierarchical structures” - deadline Jan 12, 2024|
|Oct 31, 2023||Our paper A simple criterion for 𝓜,𝓝-adhesivity has been published on Theoretical Computer Science. It can be downloaded here for free until December 26, 2023. Spooky Halloween! 👻🎃🧛|
|Oct 27, 2023||Participation to "Gjal e copasse" on Radio Spazio|
|Oct 24, 2023||Attending (and giving a talk at) "SERICS SPOKE 6 First Software and Platform Security Workshop"|
|Oct 23, 2023||Participation to the Round Table of the "Digital Security Festival"|
selected publications (more)
- Castelnovo, D., Gadducci, F., & Miculan, M. (2023). A simple criterion for 𝓜,𝓝-adhesivity. Theoretical Computer Science, 114280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tcs.2023.114280
- Miculan, M., & Vitacolonna, N. (2023). Automated Verification of Telegram’s MTProto 2.0 in the Symbolic Model. Computers & Security, 103072. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2022.103072
- Stolze, C., Miculan, M., & Di Gianantonio, P. (2023). Composable partial multiparty session types for open systems. Software and Systems Modeling, 22, 473–494. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10270-022-01040-x
- Pasqua, M., Comuzzo, M., & Miculan, M. (2022). The AbU Language: IoT Distributed Programming Made Easy. IEEE Access, 10, 132763–132776. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3230287
- Chiapperini, A., Miculan, M., & Peressotti, M. (2022). Computing (optimal) embeddings of directed bigraphs. Sci. Comput. Program., 221, 102842. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scico.2022.102842